Copyright - Jean L. Hays

Copyright – Jean L. Hays

We were somehow misdirected. Shuffled off to Buffalo or wherever it is that kids go between birth and adulthood. Herded like cattle toward the edge of nowhere we ever wanted to go.

Winds of change rush past our ears and we listen for the voice we used to hear. The one that says, “All aboard. Destination unknown.” None of us were ugly children. Now that we have grown, when shall we see ourselves again?

*****

So many ideas came to mind when I first saw last week’s Friday Fictioneers prompt. I’m late. I’ve been lost this last week. Recovery is taking a toll on me. I want to write. It seems every effort leads me back to my own current misery, and who wants to read about that!

Serious Dead End

Thanks for reading. Friday Fictioneers are here. Check them out and be amazed. I know I always am. I will be back to a somewhat regular post schedule soon. I still have a lot to say.

#ADSBELOWTHISPOSTARENOTENDORSEDBYTHISBLOGGER

27 thoughts on “None Of Us Were Ugly Children

1. My standard response to ugly babies?

Interesting child.
    If they keep showing my pictures?
    They look just like you.

When my sister had the ugliest child I ever saw?
    Must look like her father.

Feel better my friend. This was great as usual, despite your disclaimer!

I didn’t want to miss out on the first Friday Fictioneer prompt of the year. Thanks, Val.

2. fafalili says:

Maybe it is the holiday blues because:

* Dealing with family present and past (can we say, oy vey),
    * All my decorations are still up (do not worry they are coming down this weekend),
    * I feel it is going to be another year of “working” to remain relative in the “working” world,
    * My body has never felt the same since “50” smacked me and I had my first (last?) surgery,

but I completely understand and appreciate what you are experiencing. Your pictures and words remind me of movie lines that come flooding into my head on occasions. At times, they are comforting to me because I think, “Well hell, at least I do not feel as maudlin”….or could it really be, “Well hell, at least I am not alone”. They are from Splendor in the Grass and paraphrased below:

Deanie asks: “You’re happy, Bud?”
    Bud replies: “I guess so. I don’t ask myself that question very often, though. How about you?”

This scene and more dialog goes on and then…

Bud states: “Gee – things work out awful funny sometimes, don’t they, Deanie?”
    Deanie replies: “Yes, they do.”
    Bud adds: “I hope you’re gonna be awful happy.”
    Deanie replies: “Well, like you, Bud. I don’t think too much about happiness either.”
    Bud finishes with: “What’s the point? You gotta take what comes.”

….and so I continue….

It is a difficult season. My body has betrayed me for such a long time now. I’ve never been one to give up. Certainly not when I know there is so much undiscovered “fight” in me, but I am simultaneously exhausted and ready to get on with it; be at my best again.
      So, I breathe and take what comes…until one day when I will give it right back.

Your comment means the world to me.

3. IDK what your current misery is but i hope you soon are over it.

Thanks, Dawn. I’m working on it.

4. When shall we see ourselves again?. Great point.
    No dead ends…keep on trucking, lady. You can do it and I shall keep reading. Be well.

5. Don’t you hate it when a friend has an ugly baby and doesn’t realize it? Especially when they post photo after photo, and your newsfeed is clogged with ugly baby pics? Or, worse still, when they ask you to hold him/her/it and all you want to do is let out a loud scream?

Yeah. That bites.

I just say, “I’m allergic.”

6. Michael B. Fishman says:

“Recovery is taking a toll on me. I want to write. It seems every effort leads me back to my own current misery, and who wants to read about that!”

I would. Stay strong.

7. Sandra says:

I enjoyed this Honie. The language flowed beautifully – well done.

☺️ thank you for reading my late entry, Sandra.

8. Lyle Krahn says:

Misery sometimes likes company – you might be surprised at what people read. Not happy to hear the recovery is slow. Hopefully you soon hit the tipping point.

Sure, but then I’d have nothing left for my memoir. Thanks, Lyle. I’m hopeful too.

Thanks! It’s true too, isn’t it? 🙂

9. “We find ourselves on a long, dark highway, looking for that road not taken. Much to our surprise we awaken just before we’ve gone too far.” This is such a universal experience. I love this (and the last paragraph)
    Well done!

You are so right, and I love that you think that too.

I like where you took this. Great title, too. Hope your recovery turns the corner soon.

One way or another I’ll be ’round the bend soon. Back to the doc today. GAAAAHHHH!

11. Allan G. Smorra says:

Whether it is a daily feast or a weekly treat, your words fuel my thoughts and nourish my inner hunger for enlightenment. I hope that you feel better soon and thank you for this thought-provoking post. —Allan

Your kind words knocked me right into my happy place. Thanks, Allan.

Editor and writer. Interested in tiny things, unhealthy nostalgia, old jungle mixtapes, my little homestead, and my cats. Not to be fed after midnight.