It takes courage, strength and lots of patients to bring any book to market no matter how it is published. Creating the story, characters, plot, and dialog is the easy part. New authors, who choose to self-publish face challenges from without and within. Once the editing is finished and a publishing platform is chosen, that’s when the action adventure really begins. Publishing elitist opinions notwithstanding, quantity over quality is a valid issue. There are as many opinions as there are books.

Frustration and doubt are relentless saboteurs.

It is important to seek writers groups in your local area and online. Professional and social media is there to provide information, resources, and tools to get the job done. It is wise to explore your options. It’s also wise not to believe everything you hear/read. Another author’s timeline, budget and methods may not be right for you. The mission, should you decide to accept it is to find what works best for you and run with it.

Be aware it can be brutal.

Print on demand and eBook formats are not an either/or proposition. Self-published authors can deliver the best of both. Choosing distribution and marketing methods can seem overwhelming.  Asking for help may not be easy. Trying to follow all of the advice doesn’t make it any easier.

You may even feel like you’ve been set up for failure.

Just as you begin to experience exhaustion and you think you can’t wait any longer for validation that self-publishing was the right decision, that’s the time to be fearless. Someone has been where you are and is waiting with a flashlight at the other end of the tunnel. They don’t have a secret decoder ring, but they may be someone who can help set you up for success. There is an emerging network of Indie Authors to provide support for those trying to build momentum for their self-published work. I am pleased to welcome a respected member of the Indie Author community, John Kenworthy as a guest blogger tomorrow with a dramatic post on the perils of self-publishing.

A native son of America’s heartland, John Kenworthy grew up with a genetic imprint of literary intent and began his journey writing for Easyriders, Biker and V-Twin magazines. A decade of research resulted in his first book, “The Hand Behind the Mouse: an intimate biography of Ub Iwerks” co-written with Ub’s granddaughter, Leslie Iwerks. His other published work includes a short non-fiction book called “Bungee Jumping & Cocoons” which looks at trends in the industrial marketplace and most recently a work of chilling literary fiction, “The Missionary and the Brute” which is set in Tanzania where John traveled as Executive Director of Brick by Brick for Tanzania!, Inc. – a non-profit that builds preschools in Africa. The harrowing tale follows the path of missionary Jadwin Ross who is accused of murders he doesn’t remember committing – and perhaps discovery of a greater evil within. You won’t want to miss his post here tomorrow.

9 thoughts on “The Set Up

I love your blog because of your honesty and your optimism. I am happy to be a self published author. Some days are set backs, but I tend to learn from my mistakes so it’s just as well.

I am glad to have you as a resource.

2. I love this line “Frustration and doubt are relentless saboteurs.” So true. Enjoyed the post. Looking forward to hearing what Mr Kenworthy has to say

Thanks! Compliments do lessen the doubt and make the frustration easier to handle. I’ve had my share of both since starting this journey. I’m still smiling, so that’s a good sign!

3. Hala J. says:

Looking forward to Mr. Kenworthy’s post! As someone who hopes to write something worthy of publishing sometime, I think looking into this kind of experience would be pretty awesome.

Hey There Hala J. You know, you are already publishing some pretty good stuff. You could create a book just from stories on your blog. Thanks for the comment and I hope you do enjoy tomorrow’s post.

1. Hala J. says:

Awww, thank you! That really does mean a lot. I’m always told I’m a good writer but sometimes I tend to doubt myself, especially when I look at writers and bloggers I admire. I just write more often now, and don’t get all hung up on the little things like I used to. It makes the ideas flow so much easier!

That’s exactly what you have to do, just slam, jam, sprint, vault, and stick that landing every chance you get and before you know it you’ll either have killer writing muscles or a torn ACL. Keep those ideas flowing Hala J.

Comments are closed.

Editor and writer. Interested in tiny things, nineties nostalgia, old jungle mixtapes, my little homestead, and my cats. Not to be fed after midnight.